Mons Meg

... was built in 1449 by Jehan Cambier, artillery maker to Philip the Good, the Duke of Burgundy. It was successfully tested at Mons in the County of Hainault, in what is now Belgium. In 1454 Duke Philip sent it as a gift to James II, King of Scots, to help him in his conflicts with the English. The bombard was employed in sieges until the middle of the 16th century, after which it was only fired on ceremonial occasions. On one such occasion in 1680 the barrel burst, rendering Mons Meg unusable. The gun remained in Edinburgh Castle until 1754 when, along with other unused weapons in Scotland, it was taken to the Tower of London. Sir Walter Scott and others campaigned for its return, and this was effected in 1829. Mons Meg has since been restored, and is now on display within the castle.

© Haydn Thompson 2020