Glassblowing: punties, gobs and gathers

A punty is a solid metal rod, usually tipped with a gob of hot glass, which is applied to the base of a vessel to hold it during production.

The gob of glass is known as a gather.

That's what it used to say, on the website of Toledo Museum of Art. I've no idea what it means really; sadly, the page in question seems no longer to be available.

© Haydn Thompson 2017